Armored Horse Process Page
Original concept Sketch.
Model created using photographs from Paul, the horse I rode at practice on monday.
Horse after proportions were tweaked.
Original idea for armor.
Got rid of the drape, and allowed more of the face to show through. I created two variations of the head armor to allow more of the horse's face to show through. I decided on the one that did not have as much cut out, to retain at least some protection for the horse.
Here is the bare head, with the details I didnt want to lose.
Unrwapped the horse. I used this checker pattern to ensure that there was equal surface area for the texture.
Then I created a texture map in photoshop that was just noise, in order to tell if there would be any texture stretching. I am glad that I did this because there would have been alot. This step allowed me to correct the problem early.
Texture Map. Notice the enlarged eyes. I did this for two reasons. One was because I had extra space, and I could, and the other was to put more life into him by haveing really realistic eyes, with more detail then the rest of the model allowed with it's texture space. I mirrored alot of stuff to allow for more texture area. The only part that is not mirrored is the front of the face. I wanted to allow for the white scar across the right eye, and I wanted to avoid the twinning look.
Finished Horse. Now to start on with the armor and its textures.